Sunday, July 01, 2007

Commitment

I'm taking a class this summer on the Diagnostic and Statistics Manual of Mental Disorders, otherwise known as the DSM-IV. It's quite fascinating to read of the different mental illnesses and case studies/symptoms. Today, I have been working on a short paper regarding voluntary and involuntary commitment to a mental health institution. We had to research the statutes on commitment in the state we live in or plan to work in. I researched the state of Maine (because whether or not I end up in Maine, I don't want to stay in Oklahoma). What I find interesting is that if a person voluntarily commits themself, they can discharge after only 16 hours. Does anyone else think that number is a little low? I mean, I know it's voluntary but still---if you are putting yourself in a mental institution, what good is 16 hours going to do? Someone explain this to me. I had a client once who voluntarily admitted himself to detox. (Yes, I know drug/alcohol detox is way different than mental health, but go with it...) He mainly admitted himself to get his family, and me, off his case for a while. He didn't stay but maybe 24 hours then left, against medical advice, and of course was right back to using/drug seeking. Let's put the word "commitment" to good use and if someone enters treatment, let's COMMIT to a little more than 16 hours of care.
Yes, I'm rambling. No one cares what I say on this blog. And yes, if you must know, I'm procrastinating doing my next section of homework. Am I commited to my education? No, not today. :-)

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Maybe this is there way of trying to get more of us to commit ourselves? In other words, I'm a strung out/mental nut-ball (pardon my gross use of language) and I need help but would not seek it if I knew it would intervene with my long term schedule. ("I've got an appointment on Tuesday and shit to do" - Ani DiFranco).

So this way you can try out the facilities, see if you like the workout center and pool, and then determine whether you really want to 'commit' or not.

"She should just join the Y"