Tuesday, August 22, 2006

Remembering Mom...

Today, August 22nd, is the anniversary of when my Mom died. It's been 5 years and I have mixed emotions. I miss her, that's a given. There's been so much I've wanted to tell her and share with her. I miss her touch, her smile, the clickety-clack of her heels, her singing. But, I am at peace with her passing. There was nothing left undone those many years ago. I just miss her. I was the only one with Mom when she died and that's a powerful memory I will always take with me.

Tonight, I am having friends over for potluck and for games. I decided that I wanted to spend the evening with friends, who are my extended family.

Love you Mom.

3 comments:

Domestic Goddess said...

Just happened on your blog and wanted to comment. My mom died 4 1/2 years ago from cancer. I totally understand where you are coming from. Some times I find myself being amazed that she is really gone.
I am glad you have friends to lean on. They help me in tough times too.
Keep on keepin' on!

karrlot said...

What a wonderful way to keep her memory alive - by having fun with loved ones.

It always strikes me as odd, how the pain surfaces, sometimes as strong as they day they left. I was very close to my grandpa, who passed away 12 years ago. Every once in a while, I'll be going about my daily life, and a noise, a scent, a vision will trigger the pain of his absence. It might be in the grocery store, driving down the highway, or while I'm mowing the lawn. Sometimes I'll just start crying.

It helps me to think that we'll be together again soon, we're just apart for a while.

mandyc said...

The 5th anniversary of my dad's death is this Christmas (actually the 23rd) and I hope I handle it as well as you are handling the loss of your mom. Somehow, I don't think that will be the case...