Sunday, August 13, 2006

Sensational sin

One of the local mega churches, LifeChurch, has a new crusade going. Around town, there are bumper stickers and signs popping up saying "I've got a secret" with a web address of www.mysecret.tv

I decided to check it out yesterday and was thoroughly disgusted by what I found. Turns out that this website is a place where people can publicly confess their sins (housed under a variety of topics) and voyeurs can read those stories. There is something that says this material isn't appropriate for people under 18, but there's no safeguard to prevent any 'ol user from clicking in. I don't know if the posts are edited before going up on the board, but believe me--there are stories/sins posted that you don't want children to read.

Our state newspaper, the Daily Oklahoman, ran a story on this so I'm sure millions of people are flocking to the site. I just think this is irresponsible use of religion--to post "sin" online for the world to see, instead of making it a matter between a person and God.

Another issue I have are the categories of sin and what is/is not a sin. I think it's safe to say that my understanding of sin is different than what LifeChurch would preach, but hey.....

I've thought about posting on the site just to see what happens but I also don't want to encourage use of that outlet. What do you think I should do?

No comments: